Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Run for Life

With less than 4 weeks remaining until the start of the Pinhoti 100, I felt now is a good time to update you on an exciting partnership opportunity with the race.  I am pleased to announce that I will be running the race to raise awareness and financial support for LIFE Ministries, a local ministry here in Birmingham.  You can become a sponsor by going to http://runforlifenow.com/.  Lots of great info on the website and a safe, easy way to donate at the bottom of the page.  

I am running for LIFE Ministries because they are fully committed to helping people discover the freedom that can only be found in Jesus Christ.  There are many parallels between the freedom I find in running and the ultimate freedom that can only be found through a relationship with Jesus Christ.  I have seen first-hand the impact that LIFE has had on many individuals and couples in their own personal adventures and journey with God.  I fervently believe that God has uniquely positioned Randy and Melody Hemphill and LIFE Ministries to help individuals and couples realize the hope that is found in Jesus Christ.

Randy at LIFE Ministries has asked me to write an update/devotional for each week leading up to the race.  Below is the first update/devotional that was sent out to their supporters and friends.

October 8, 2012 – Finishing Strong by Chris Dollar

With less than four weeks until the start of the Pinhoti 100, training continues to proceed…mostly as planned.  The miles continue to add up and I feel confident that my body is responding to the beating it is taking on a daily basis.  Before a big race I like to run a shorter race as a tune-up and to gauge overall fitness.  A couple weeks ago I ran the Georgia Jewel 35 mile trail race to see just where things stand.  Below are some thoughts about the race.

The Georgia Jewel 35 is also on the Pinhoti trail, albeit on the Georgia side, so I figured the terrain would be quite similar to the upcoming 100, making it a great training race.  The course was 17.5 miles out to the turnaround, and then 17.5 miles back on the same trail.  My strategy was to run the first half conservatively and then hopefully pick up the pace in the second half.  This is my strategy for a lot of races, but usually has mixed results.

The first hour of the run was before sunrise, and began with the first 1.3 miles being straight uphill.  I chose not to bring my good headlamp, and instead opted for two clip on lights purchased from Academy for $5.  Bad decision.  One never turned on and the other was quite dim.  Therefore the first hour was spent tripping over rocks and looking for the directional markers.  After many near falls (my running motion probably looked like a toddler), a near wrong turn, and not drinking enough water due to the focus on the trail, the sun came up and the lack of light was no longer a factor. 

Skip ahead to the turnaround.  At mile 17.5 I made it to the turnaround aid station and was in 13th place overall and felt good to have half of the race behind me.  I took a bit of time here to hydrate and gather supplies for the return trip.  Now it was time to crank it up and test the legs a bit.  My pace quickened over the second half, and my legs felt good and spirits were high.  My effort moved me up to a 5th place finish and resulted in a negative split.

A negative split is a frequent goal of runners, as it simply means running the second half of a race faster than the first.  It is a tangible way of knowing that a runner finished strong. 

Running has many illustrations for life, and particularly life as a believer in Jesus Christ.  What does it mean to finish strong in your personal life?  As individuals there are many times when we, like in this race, are wandering around in the dark directionless and without light.  Sometimes we feel like every step is uphill.  Many of us have taken the wrong turns of bad decisions or find ourselves being repeatedly tripped up by the consequences of those decisions or sometimes simply by forces outside of our control.  Despite these obstacles we can still finish strong.

The turnaround for the race was a mile marker, but for us the turnaround is found in a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Jesus can take the hurts from our past, heal them, and replace them with hope in Him, allowing us to live life with new joy and excitement.

What does this look like for us?  Turn your past, regardless of how ugly, over to Jesus, and from this point forward make it your goal to finish strong with Him by your side.  Maybe it’s in your marriage, family, career or relationships.  Let Jesus be the turnaround and from there finish strong with Him.  

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” 
Matthew 11:28

Again, the website to sponsor or learn more is below: 
http://runforlifenow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment