Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Run for Life - Pain is Part of the Process

Less than two weeks to go.  Below is this week's devotional for LIFE Ministries.  For more information on the race or to sponsor LIFE through the run, please visit http://runforlifenow.com/

October 22, 2012 - Pain is Part of the Process

Less than two weeks to go.  This is what is officially called the “taper” phase of training.  Mileage decreases in order to recover from the strains of training.  Now is the time for rest, and for runners, with rest comes doubt.  Have I trained enough?  Is my body strong enough?  Am I mentally prepared?  For me, I’ve been dealing with doubts about how I will responding to how painful this race promises to be.  Having never attempted to run 100 miles before, I am unfamiliar with the amount of pain that will certainly be present during the late stages of the race.

For runners, pain and fatigue are part of the training and racing process.  In an ultramarathon, even the best and most extensive training plan will not eliminate pain and discomfort during the actual race.  The length of each race guarantees suffering.  Strangely, that’s part of the appeal.  Every ultramarathon I have run has been painful.  In races there are more times than I care to admit when I ask myself, “What in the world am I doing out here?  Wouldn’t it be easier to just go home?”

Pain is part of training also.  During this training cycle I have had various ailments, including plantar fasciitis, IT band issues and shin splints.  These issues require constant and vigilant monitoring, icing, stretching and other therapeutic measures to keep them from becoming larger issues that require more intensive treatment.  These pains, whether during the race or in training, are frustrating. 

Many people wrongly assume that being a Christian protects us from any pain and suffering.  However, God offers us no guarantees that our lives will be free from pain or tough times.  Christianity is not a free ticket to abundant health and great wealth.  Pain is part of life.  We live in a fallen world plagued by sin.  As a result we will face pain and suffering much greater than what I will face in this upcoming race. 

What is our reaction when faced with pain?  Many times it is easy to give up.  Wouldn’t it be easier if I weren’t married?  Is having all this responsibility really fair to me?  Did I marry the wrong person?  These questions enter our minds and if we’re not careful can overtake us.  We cannot forget that we will face trials in this life, but we are promised that through Christ we can persevere through the pain and suffering and be blessed as a result.

How do I respond to this pain when running?  In a race it’s fairly simple:  keep moving forward or quit.  The term “Embrace the Suck” is one frequently used in the endurance running community.  It is most often used by NCO's in the military referring to when an individual or a group must complete a task that is pointless, tiring, and/or lame (I realize that ‘pointless, tiring, and lame’ is exactly how many of you would describe this race, but stay with me here).  To me the phrase is very simply acknowledging that when things get tough you have to make progress despite the pain. 

The choice is much the same in our personal lives.  Address the problem directly and keep moving forward…or just quit.  The life that God intends for each of us is worth fighting for.  When it gets tough we must turn to Christ for guidance and direction, and He can see us through.

In running, some pain you can run through, while some requires you to stop and rest.  When tough times happen in our lives, some we must forge through and others require us to stop and evaluate, but in both cases through prayer and perseverance and a steadfast dedication to seeking God’s will can help us to battle through the pain to realize the glorious life that God intends for us.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.   - Isaiah 41:10

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment