Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thoughts Before the Rocket City Marathon

Saturday’s Rocket City Marathon will be my fourth marathon and the one that gives me the best chance of qualifying for Boston.  My last marathon time (Mercedes - February 2010) was 3:15, just five minutes shy of the qualifying time of 3:10.  Close, but no cigar.  I feel confident in my training heading into the race and hope to qualify with time to spare.  After much thought my goal is to finish under 3 hours.  Not sure how likely that is, but I guess that's the definition of a goal...realistic, yet quite challenging.  This way, if I don't meet my goal I still have a cushion for qualifying for Boston.  My previous marathons I have averaged approximately 45 miles per week during peak training with the longest training run being one 20 mile run.  For the Rocket City Marathon I have averaged approximately 65-70 miles per week during peak training with seven runs greater than 20 miles, including one 24 mile run and the 31 mile North Face 50k (which really doesn’t count because the pace is so different on trails.)  So, I am better trained going into this race than any of my previous marathons.  Hopefully I haven't done too much.  As a result of the miles and recovery from the 50k in October, my speed has been slower than I hoped, but I am cautiously optimistic that it all comes together on Saturday.  Full race report will be posted next week.

Saturday is a busy race day, as several friends are running in big races.  Daniel Ellis will also be racing the Rocket City Marathon and is a favorite to win.  While I am aiming to qualify for Boston, Daniel is aiming to qualify for the Olympic Trials.  Yes, the actual Olympics.  I look forward to watching him run for the first ¼ mile until he gets too far out of view up ahead.  I also look forward to turning 30 next year so that I am no longer in his age division.  Also, Andon and Beth Briggs, the mighty trail-running couple, will be running the Tashka 50k.  If I’m not mistaken, this will be Beth’s first 50k.  Good luck to all!
  
Verse:  Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.  - Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment